At a surprise press conference in Seoul on Monday, South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun publicly denied explosive allegations that he groomed and dated late actress Kim Sae-ron when she was underage. The 37-year-old star addressed growing controversy and social media speculation surrounding his past relationship with the actress, who tragically died by suicide earlier this year.
Tearful Denial and Timeline of Relationship
Flanked by his lawyer, Kim Soo-hyun appeared emotional as he read a prepared statement, offering his version of events and outlining a timeline of his relationship with Kim Sae-ron.
“I accept responsibility for what I have done and will take any criticism for it,” Kim said. “But I cannot take responsibility for something I did not do.”
He emphasized that their relationship began after Kim Sae-ron became an adult, denying any inappropriate involvement while she was underage.
Allegations from Kim Sae-ron’s Family
The accusations resurfaced earlier this month when Kim Sae-ron’s family released new statements, photographs, and text messages alleging that the two had been in a relationship since 2016, when Kim Sae-ron was 15 and Kim Soo-hyun was 27. Their claims suggest the relationship lasted six years.
While rumors of a romantic connection between the two have been circulating since 2024, following the appearance of a photo on Instagram, Kim’s agency, Gold Medalist, denied them at the time.
At the press conference, Kim Soo-hyun contradicted the family’s timeline, stating that he dated Kim Sae-ron for approximately one year, around four years ago, when she was of legal age.
Allegations of Defamation and Emotional Manipulation
Kim also accused Kim Sae-ron’s family of using “fabricated evidence” and of trying to paint him as a pedophile responsible for her death.
“Her family is accusing me of driving her to her death just because I was her ex-boyfriend. They are pressuring me to confess to something I did not do,” he said.
Kim Sae-ron passed away on February 16, 2024, at the age of 24. Her death was ruled a suicide that coincidentally occurred on Kim Soo-hyun’s birthday.
Career Fallout Amid Scandal
Kim Soo-hyun is one of South Korea’s most acclaimed actors, best known globally for his roles in hit dramas such as My Love From the Star, It’s Okay to Not Be Okay, The Moon Embracing the Sun, and most recently, Queen of Tears (2024).
Since the allegations surfaced, his career has suffered. He has reportedly lost a major brand partnership with Prada, and the release of his upcoming Disney+ drama Knock-Off has been postponed.